We’re looking for our VP, Finance to oversee finance and accounting functions for this high-growth SaaS company. This person should be an operationally oriented leader with a strong strategic business mindset who has previously led the finance team of a growing technology business.
At data.world, you’ll lead Accounting, FP&A, Compliance, and Reporting, and participate in both short and long-term strategy. The candidate will drive the execution of budgeting and forecasting, operational and strategic planning for the finance org, investment analysis, M&A, financings, annual audit and compliance activities, revenue operations alignment and cash management by building scalable financial processes and infrastructure while leading a strong Finance team.
We expect the VP to employ sound business principles, and strong data analytics to support decision-making. This position reports to the COO, and will partner across organizations including Business Operations, Product, Sales, and HR.
At data.world, you will:
- Serve as a member of the executive team, providing input to peers regarding the financial implications of all major business decisions, as well as strategic input in shaping the Company’s business objectives
- Conduct ongoing ﬁnancial forecasting and modeling, lead annual budgeting and planning process, and provide the Executive Team clear visibility and recommendations to achieve the financial goals
- Perform risk management through analysis of company liabilities and investments
- Work with the CEO to establish Quarterly Board of Directors meeting agendas and coordinate the meeting including materials to be presented and ensuring all Board administrative matters are covered
- Conduct ongoing client, segment and product line proﬁtability analysis, lending insight and perspectives on pricing strategy
- Lead an Accounting team managing AP/AR and providing monthly and quarterly account reconciliations
- Manage compliance and tax matters including ensuring the Company complies with all ﬁnancial regulations and standards, relevant tax codes, GAAP, SALT and nexus assessments, as well as tax strategies
- Ensure proper timing and application of ASC 606 revenue recognition principles
- Ensure systems and processes are in place to deliver best practices Accounting functions for the company
- Provide insightful and trusted financial data-driven information to the COO, executive management team, and investors, on financial business issues related to the overall performance of the Company
- Partner with senior leaders on operational and strategic issues as they arise, and provide strategic recommendations based on financial analysis and projections
- Synthesize data and input from disparate sources into a coherent financial model, and present in a way that allows other business leaders to make informed decisions
- Manage overall finance and accounting department, bringing functions in house where appropriate, and providing training, mentorship, and growth for the team members
- Lead company capitalization and related work, including equity and debt financing, compliance, and corporate risk management
- Ensure the company is appropriately and strategically positioned with analysts, investors, and all stakeholders
- Create the appropriate strategy, framework, and tactics for complying with major investor reporting requirements, and provide an investor relations roadmap
We’d love to see:
- 5+ years in senior finance leadership positions in high growth SaaS environments
- Experience providing input to the CEO, Board, and management peers regarding the financial implications of business decisions or considerations
- Diversity of experience and exposure to a wide range of complex business models
- Experience leading a growing a finance and accounting team including hiring, training, work allocation, motivating, and measuring success
- Strong FP&A understanding with analytical mindset
- Ability to develop and implement systems, tools and processes increasing business clarity and ensuring scalability as the company grows
- Experience scaling operational accounting systems at a B2B SaaS company
- Strong written, verbal, and visual communication skills, including presenting to Board of Directors
- Ability to be both a leader and hands on “doer”
- Highly analytical and data/metrics driven
- An appetite to try new things - you’re curious and excited to improve your process, and always looking to learn. You ask questions and don't shy away from challenges.
Big pluses include:
- A combination of experience that includes a large, global complex company and a rapidly growing company that has scaled from $10M to $25M+
- Prior experience within a company that is backed by Venture Capital/Private Equity investors
- Being based in Austin area (not required)
Perks and benefits:
- Competitive compensation with generous bonus program
- Fully paid health, vision, and dental insurance premiums for your entire family
- Company-paid life insurance, short and long-term disability insurance, and legal coverage
- Remote-forward, super flexible, casual, and enjoyable environment with open PTO
- Charitable donation matching and community philanthropy opportunities
- Wellness programs catered to individual needs
- Quarterly headquarters events - all employees welcome
- An awesome group of smart and determined coworkers, including a tight-knit team of startup veterans with integrity, passion, and senses of humor
- Your own Sparkletar owl character - have you seen them yet?
If you have the exceptional combination of skills and qualities that we are looking for, then we’re excited to meet you!
Note: We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
We are the world’s largest collaborative data community and we very much believe that our people need to represent the very diverse nature of the community we are serving and customer base we are winning. We believe that diversity leads to the most creative discussions, ideas, and outcomes.