We’re looking for a Product Engineering Manager to drive the future of our flagship data discovery and collaboration web-based platform. Our product team operates at the intersection of design thinking, product management and data-driven development, and delivers features that make working together on data more straight-forward, productive, and enjoyable.
We're searching for someone who loves solving hard technical challenges and building beautiful products as much as we do.
At data.world, you will:
- own one or more products in and around the "data management" space, including day-to-day tactical prioritization and long-term strategic initiatives.
- work closely with design, doc, engineering and business stakeholders to ensure the delivery of high quality products.
- lead a small team of front and backend engineers.
- determine the best methods for rolling out new features (e.g., feature flags, AB experimentation, customer v. community, etc.).
- work with design to craft user studies and acceptance criteria, and use data to measure effectiveness of new features and functionality.
- maintain a thoughtfully groomed backlog.
- articulate the why and for whom, not just the what, how, and when.
- prioritize ruthlessly based on user and customer needs.
- learn… constantly.
We'd love to see:
- 7+ years experience as an engineer, shipping web-based products.
- 2+ years experience serving as a technical manager for 1 or more teams or products, or working in close collaboration with product managers.
- proven experience as a consensus builder within organizations.
- strong opinions, loosely held. You admit when you're wrong, and integrate new learnings quickly.
- the ability to provide, as well as seek out, mentorship.
- a belief that great products grow from continuous iteration.
- experience with scaling a cloud-based platform.
- an affinity for data. If you need data to make a decision, you find the data. If there isn't data available, you design systems to generate the data you need.
- a technical background, and are comfortable writing code to solve problems.
- a deep familiarity with data platforms.
- an appreciation for good usability and user experience design.
- no issues leading meetings with engineers, designers, business stakeholders, users, or customers.
- strong written, verbal, and visual communication skills. You should be able to articulate your decisions, whiteboard new solutions, present ideas concisely, and defend your beliefs.
- an appetite to try new things. You’re curious and excited to improve your process, and always looking to learn. You ask questions and don't shy away from challenges.
- experience with a subset of these technologies:
- webpack, Next.js
- Monaco, Draft.js
- AWS (e.g., S3, Kinesis, DynamoDB, etc.)
- RDF & SPARQL
- Java, Scala
- Snowflake, Presto/Athena , PostgreSQL, Azure Synapse, Google BigQuery, Spark
Perks and benefits:
- Successful company with strong leadership, the right values, and a product well-positioned within a growing category
- Innovative technology/architecture (RDF, knowledge graph)
- Agile and highly disciplined engineering culture/practices (CI, TDD, soc2, peer review, etc.), not to mention a productive and fun environment.
- Competitive market compensation with a generous bonus structure
- Fully paid health/dental/vision insurance for the whole family
- Charitable corporate programs and volunteer events throughout the year
- Open PTO, and a personalized wellness incentive
- Lots of regularly scheduled team events including game nights, rock climbing, and cocktail competitions - even virtually for now!
- A flexible work environment
- A tight-knit team of startup veterans with integrity, passion, and curiosity
If you have the exceptional combination of skills and qualities that we are looking for, then we’re excited to meet you!
Note: We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
We are the world’s largest collaborative data community and we very much believe that our people need to represent the very diverse nature of the community we are serving and customer base we are winning. We believe that diversity leads to the most creative discussions, ideas, and outcomes.