data.world is looking for an experienced Principal UI Engineer to join the team as a technical contributor and mentor to help drive the future of our flagship data discovery and collaboration web-based platform. Our front-end engineering team operates at the intersection of design thinking, product management and data-driven development, and are trusted to deliver features that make working together on data more straight-forward, productive, and enjoyable.
At data.world, you will:
- contribute to overall system design, component design, security, reliability, performance, accessibility, and modernization of our web applications.
- provide mentorship around industry best practices.
- make major decisions about technical areas for the company to invest in.
- contribute directly to application stack and write code
- assist other team members through code reviews, testing, and debugging issues.
- contribute to the health and stability of our products through monitoring, instrumentation and maintenance of the day-to-day front-end operational aspects of the platform.
- help keep the data.world technical platform current by being well versed in browsers, their update cycles, new and existing APIs being made available, HTTP standards, security & privacy standards, etc.
We'd love to see:
- 3+ years experience serving as a technical lead for 1 or more teams or products.
- proven experience as a consensus builder within organizations. Senior engineers trust you and feel that they can learn from you.
- strong opinions, loosely held. You admit when you're wrong, and integrate new learnings quickly.
- experience with a broad set of front-end libraries and build tools, and understand how to most efficiently deliver functionality to the browser (e.g., webpack, Next.js, etc.)
- proficiency with modern browser-based technologies. You’ve maintained code in the cloud and have strong opinions about best practices. Experience with AWS a plus (S3, Kinesis, DynamoDB, etc.)
- strong written, verbal, and visual communication skills. You should be able to articulate your decisions, whiteboard new solutions, present ideas concisely to product leadership, and defend your beliefs.
Big pluses include:
- experience with displaying data, including scalable table gridview components and charting libraries (e.g., D3, Vega, etc.)
- experience with code editor libraries (e.g., Monaco, CodeMirror) and related concerns (autocomplete, syntax highlighting, etc.)
Perks and benefits:
- Competitive market compensation with a generous bonus structure
- Fully paid health/dental/vision insurance for the whole family
- Charitable corporate programs and volunteer events throughout the year
- Open PTO, and a personalized wellness incentive
- Lots of regularly scheduled team events including game nights, rock climbing, and cocktail competitions - even virtually for now!
- A flexible work environment
- A tight-knit team of startup veterans with integrity, passion, and curiosity for days
If you have the exceptional combination of skills and qualities that we are looking for, then we’re excited to meet you!
Note: We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. We are the world’s largest collaborative data community and we very much believe that our people need to represent the very diverse nature of the community we are serving and the customer base we are winning. We believe that diversity leads to the most creative discussions, ideas and outcomes.