Our product team operates at the intersection of design thinking, product management and data-driven development, and delivers features that make working together on data more straight-forward, productive, and enjoyable.
We are looking for an experienced technical leader to manage our distributed graph system. This system builds a large knowledge graph with billions of nodes/edges using Apache Spark to achieve a high degree of parallelism. The right candidate will have experience deploying and running Apache Spark in a production environment, will have experience managing data at scale using relational databases and SQL, and will be comfortable with graph algorithms.
At data.world, you will:
- own features related to customer knowledge graphs, including day-to-day tactical prioritization and long-term strategic productization initiatives.
- work closely with design, doc, engineering and business stakeholders to ensure the delivery of high quality products.
- lead a small team of data and platform engineers.
- work with design to craft user studies and acceptance criteria, and use data to measure effectiveness of new features and functionality.
- maintain a thoughtfully groomed backlog.
- articulate the why and for whom, not just the what, how, and when.
- prioritize ruthlessly based on user and customer needs.
- work closely with customer partners to ensure our general solution is solving their specific use case.
- learn… constantly.
We'd love to see:
- BS in technology or engineering field, or equivalent experience
- 7+ years experience as an engineer, shipping data oriented products.
- 2+ years experience serving as a technical manager for 1 or more teams or products, or working in close collaboration with product managers.
- experience working with Apache Spark and with Scala or Java systems
- strong computer science fundamentals - particularly algorithms, graph theory, and relational data (SQL) experience
- experience with AWS (Amazon Web Services) will be a strong plus
- proven experience as a consensus builder within organizations.
- strong opinions, loosely held. You admit when you're wrong, and integrate new learnings quickly.
- the ability to provide, as well as seek out, mentorship.
- a belief that great products grow from continuous iteration.
- experience with scaling a cloud-based platform.
- an affinity for data. If you need data to make a decision, you find the data. If there isn't data available, you design systems to generate the data you need.
- a technical background, and are comfortable writing code to solve problems.
- an appreciation for good usability and user experience design.
- no issues leading meetings with engineers, designers, business stakeholders, users, or customers.
- strong written, verbal, and visual communication skills. You should be able to articulate your decisions, whiteboard new solutions, present ideas concisely, and defend your beliefs.
Perks and benefits:
- Successful company with strong leadership, the right values, and a product well-positioned within a growing category
- Innovative technology/architecture (RDF, knowledge graph)
- Agile and highly disciplined engineering culture/practices (CI, TDD, soc2, peer review, etc.), not to mention a productive and fun environment.
- Competitive market compensation with a generous bonus structure
- Fully paid health/dental/vision insurance for the whole family
- Charitable corporate programs and volunteer events throughout the year
- Open PTO, and a personalized wellness incentive
- Lots of regularly scheduled team events including game nights, rock climbing, and cocktail competitions - even virtually for now!
- A flexible work environment
- A tight-knit team of startup veterans with integrity, passion, and curiosity
If you have the exceptional combination of skills and qualities that we are looking for, then we’re excited to meet you!
Note: We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
We are the world’s largest collaborative data community and we very much believe that our people need to represent the very diverse nature of the community we are serving and the customer base we are winning. We believe that diversity leads to the most creative discussions, ideas, and outcomes.