The data.world team is looking for a Sr. Java Platform Engineer to join us as we develop the industry-changing platform that’s modernizing the way companies organize and use data. At data.world you'll be responsible for the design and development of the platform’s backend functions, working closely with all engineering functions in this test-driven development environment.
We are seeking talented engineers who have experience working as part of a cross-functional team of professionals to develop overall concept, design and integration objectives in a variety of environments. This person should be a self-motivated, strategic thinker with the drive to take ownership of large efforts. If you’re creative, persistent, passionate about the transformative power of data, and want to have an impact on a fast-growing business, then we want to meet you.
We’d love to see:
- a BS in technology or engineering field, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years software development experience programming in Java.
- experience developing at the "data layer" (we're not too concerned with specific tech, since we integrate with and use it all - just that you have a level of experience building software that works with databases).
- experience with Elasticsearch (Java API, maintaining multiple search indices, etc.).
- the ability to use innovative analytical approaches to proactively solve a broad range of problems across technologies.
- the ability to translate business requirements into a technical design that can be understood and implemented by a cross functional team.
- experience working in a continuous deployment organization with multiple deployments each (or a strong interest in working this way).
- strong team contribution and interaction; a positive team member who enjoys working in a collaborative, fast-paced, startup environment.
- strong written, verbal, and visual communication skills.
- the ability to provide input into technology roadmaps.
- experience creating and maintaining technical documentation.
- you contribute to internal knowledge of best practices in emerging technology.
- an appetite to try new things. You’re curious and excited to improve your process, and always looking to learn. You ask questions and don't shy away from challenges.
Big pluses include:
- experience in Web Services Design, Testing, and Implementation.
- worked with "graph" data and triplestores (Semantic Web, RDF, SPARQL, Neo4J, etc.).
- built flexible, model-driven approaches to data management.
- worked in an agile, CI/CD based, test-driven engineering environment.
- experience writing parsers or using tools such as ANTLR or Lexer.
- experience developing in the AWS ecosystem.
- familiarity with: Scala, Spark, Hive, Postgres, PrestoDB.
Perks and benefits:
- Competitive market compensation with a generous bonus structure
- Fully paid health/dental/vision insurance for the whole family
- Charitable corporate programs and volunteer events throughout the year
- Open PTO, and a personalized wellness incentive
- Lots of regularly scheduled team events including game nights, rock climbing, and cocktail competitions - even virtually for now!
- A flexible work environment
- A tight-knit team of startup veterans with integrity, passion, and curiosity for days
If you have the exceptional combination of skills and qualities that we are looking for, then we’re excited to meet you!
Note: We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
We are the world’s largest collaborative data community and we very much believe that our people need to represent the very diverse nature of the community we are serving and customer base we are winning. We believe that diversity leads to the most creative discussions, ideas, and outcomes.